He makes some really great points in this video, and I couldn't agree more! A few hightlighted points to consider when developing your own style....
- Always master the foundations of realistic drawing first!
- Experiment with exaggerating characters in unique ways
- Try lots of different styles
- Avoid referencing other artists! Reference reality!
- Don't learn to draw from the way other artists draw. It will become obvious that your style isn't your own.
- Stay true to yourself. Every artist has a unique voice. Embrace yours.
Sycra also answers one of my most frequently asked questions; "Will you create a video teaching us your artistic style and how to draw just like you?"
Sycra says, "As for people wanting to know how to do my own style- that's something I really don't want to do. And the reason is; I feel at that point THAT is what you create yourself. Right? I don't feel bad teaching foundations, but I wouldn't feel entirely good about teaching how I go about my own version of simplifying reality because that's MY way of seeing things. It's quite individual."
So check out the video and try some of these things yourself!
"Remember, inspiration is different than EMULATION. We are all inspired by each other and the things we are exposed to- but your work should become it's own unique manifestation of these things and your OWN interpretation of reality, not someone elses."- Leilani Joy ^__^